Friday, June 3, 2011

Share Your Recipes: Incorporating Nuts

{Image}
Part of my Month for Me is concentrating on creating healthier meals for my family and I as well as including more of the things I love. And I LOVE nuts, but once children came along foods like nuts became a sometimes food and then a barely ever food. A special occasion food.  

We all know there are numerous health benefits when including nuts in our diets and I want to introduce these benefits into our lives. But, Ellie's in that stage. You know the one. That stage where 'different' things in meals cause meltdowns and where trying new things isn't high on the priority list.

I think she would happily eat salad wraps for the rest of her life if I would let her, which makes changing our habits not as easy as I would like.

The Nuts For Life website has a list of 23 Tips for including nuts daily and here are some of the suggestions that I think not only sound great but would actually appeal to my suddenly fussy eater;

- Blend almonds, milk, yoghurt and ice cream to make a delicious smoothie
- Mix chopped hazelnuts or pecans in muffins or cakes
- Sprinkle chopped, roasted hazelnuts or almonds onto low fat ice cream

So, we have desserts covered...

Now the challenge is to incorporate nuts into main meals and make the above on the more special occasions.

I'm not the most creative cook, I'm not a particularly great cook. I can whip up a meal in twenty minutes, but they're always the same things. Over and over. Because it's fast and it's easy and I know what the end result will be, so this is a real stretch for me.

But, I am committed.

Something I have learned from my time reading blogs is that so many of you are Goddesses in the kitchen. I have tried many recipes shared on blogs and have been so happy with the result.

Enter the Nutty Recipe Challenge, where you will not only be helping me, you could win a $50 nut hamper. Nom nom.

To go into the draw simply send your favourite healthy recipe with a nutty twist 0to me via email (becky{@}beckyandjames{.}com) and I will post a show case of the best recipes along with the winning one. Photos accompanying your email gets you brownie points as I am one of those people who like to SEE what I am meant to be making (mainly so that I can go 'Wow, mine doesn't look like that' at the end).

Alternatively, if you don't have a favourite recipe you can try and enter one of the recipes on the Nuts For Life website.

*Please note: your recipe might be published on the Nuts For Life website. 

ETA  -- A closing date and email address might help, yes?

Entries close midnight June 16th 2011 (AEST, ie Sydney time) and will be drawn by me. Please note, entry is only open to Australian residents and be sure I have your contact details in case you win!!

If the prize is not claimed within a week, this competition will be redrawn.  

Disclosure: This challenge is being hosted by myself in conjunction with Porter Novelli and Nuts For Life. No financial payment was offered nor accepted for this post. All opinions expressed are purely my own. 


Photobucket

2 comments:

Caz - the truth about mummy said...

Hey Becky!!!! I finally have you back on my blog roll. YAY. I've felt a bit lost without my old blog roll since I moved over to wordpress. Look forward to more comments from me now ..... I'm stalking you again :)

Becky said...

Yay! Caz! We're doing the switch thing too but it's taking us a whole long longer than it took for others who started to switch at the same time as us :(
I've never been so thrilled to be being stalked, btw.