With less than six months until we welcome our second child into the world, I have been thinking a whole lot about what we're going to do with Ellie when Bubby arrives.
I have a few worries and, in a perfect world, I would have them in separate rooms to avoid things like one waking the other and Ellie finding her way into the cot. I have seen the bigger child almost 'loving' the baby to death and I am worried that Ellie will start climbing into the cot to get at the baby for kisses and cuddles while James and I are blissfully unaware, sleeping in the other room. James thinks this is a silly worry, maybe so but it's not that far fetched that she will be able to climb in and out of the cot by then and I am a mother, worrying is my job where my children are concerned.
Obviously, a second cot isn't really that practical, especially if we only have one more child after this. I have been doing some research and it seems that transitioning at the stage Ellie would works well for most children, which is a relief to know. The question now is, do we go with a toddler bed or simply put her straight into a 'big bed'. We have a single bed frame that we can paint and just get a mattress for her if that's the way we choose to go.
I suppose, in some ways, it makes sense to put her straight into a big bed and attach a rail on the side, I mean it would be cheaper and less moving around. But, she's going to be so little, so young and I think I would feel so much better about her being in a toddler bed. Especially since she's really into getting up and jumping on the bed. I would much prefer her to fall from a smaller height if she's going to fall. In my view it's a safer way to learn getting in and out of bed when it's so close to the floor. Plus, we can then use it for Bubby and any other children that come along in the future.
I've been looking for good quality toddler beds that will fit in with our nursery furniture, I have found one that I like at Babies Galore, it's really nice but I am currently trying to find information on whether it's a safe, well made bed or just a cute one. Currently it's on sale for $242.96
, which isn't real cheap but I won't put a price on my daughter's safety. If a toddler bed is the safest choice then that's what we will do. If another cot is the safest choice then we will look into that. I think a toddler bed might help her sleep though, she seems to sleep better in bigger beds.
If we had money to throw around we would go for a Boori, one that starts as a cot then can be transformed into a toddler bed and finally a sofa. They're soooo nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment