Day two started nice and early.
We went out on our balcony and found it was still hot, but bearable so we decided to go for a walk to Cable Beach. We started out, but I felt like we were going in the complete opposite direction to where the beach was, given that it was me and my lack of direction talking James decided to ignore me and we continued up the block. It was a decent sized block, yet still only a block and the heat just seemed to cling to us and slow us down – it seemed to go on forever. Once we reached the round- a-bout we decided to check the map and Shock Horror! I had been right!! We were indeed headed in the wrong direction, so we turned around and dragged ourselves back up the road. We’d barely gone anywhere when I car sped out of the round- a-bout and straight through a big red, muddy puddle which went all over me. It was a puddle that could have easily been avoided and so I was wet, sandy and grumpy when we reached the bus stop near our resort. We debated going into town on the bus or getting a taxi later for us to pick up our rental car at 12 and decided to take the bus and do some exploring.
The bus was reasonably empty when we got on but as we stopped at each place it filled up until James and I were asked to move for an elderly gentleman to sit down. Up we stood. Unfortunately for me the bus driver had a habit of driving much too fast and I found it very hard to hang on and even harder to not throw up all over the poor person sitting in front of me. It was hot and sticky and smelly. We got off about two stops before we had planned to as I just was not feeling good and as soon as I set foot on the ground I burst out crying, saying I wanted to go home.
It was all too much, the flights, the tiredness, waiting forever for food and drink, feeling sick and hot and being 20 weeks pregnant. I was overwhelmed. So I rang my dad and told him to fix it, but he didn’t.
I don’t think pregnant women appreciate being told “No” really.
As I talked (whined) to my dad we walked around the courthouse markets and I was able to calm down a little before we started our long, hot walk to the airport to pick up the car.
We picked up the car and returned to our unit to be out of the heat for awhile then went shopping for food. We ended up having to get microwave dinners as we didn’t have an oven, which I was a little disappointed about as I had wanted to make some yummy dinners and maybe a nice brekky the day after our wedding. We took a drive to Cable Beach to (finally) check it out and couldn’t believe how still and flat the water was. It was absolutely gorgeous. The sand was white and the sea was blue. As it was so hot we decided not to go down to the sand, but to again return to our unit and cool down.
By the evening I was feeling less agitated and coming to appreciate that we were doing something so completely for us and no-one else. It was magical to settle in and realize we were starting the rest of our lives with such an adventure for just the two of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment