Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Will of a Toddler

With Ellie's second birthday just around the corner we are finding she is pushing the boundaries more and asserting her will in every situation she possibly can.

While "No" was once a word she 'tested' on us before doing whatever it was we were asking of her, it is now a definitive answer. She crosses her arms, shakes her head, stamps her foot and stands her ground. She is of the opinion that "No means no", well, if she says it,anyway. If we tell her no, then it's obviously open for negotiation.

She is very vocal in her opinions and is easily set off into a temper tantrum. Of late she has also been very possessive of toys. If Kahlei has a toy and Ellie takes a moment to realise that Kahlei's having a wonderful time, then she will decide to take it off her. It's not just toys, though, if I put Kahlei on the same mat as Ellie or on Ellie's bed it causes 'issues'. I have to admit that I have been quite surprised by her sudden attitude toward her sister since, really, Ellie would be hard pressed to remember any different, so I was kind of expecting that this kind of behaviour wouldn't come until the girls were older and more competitive. I know, how naive of me.

We're definately well on our way to Terrible Two territory. Which should be fun.

No comments: