Monday, December 3, 2007

Baby Sign

On Saturday we all went into Batemans Bay to do some Christmas shopping, we got some things, though we're still no quite there yet... Some people are just really hard to buy for.

Angus and Robertson were having a sale so we went to that (I simply can't pass up a book sale) and we found a book called 'Sign Language for Babies and Toddlers' by Christopher Brown and John Clements which was cheap and looked easy enough for us to follow so we bought it. I'm very happy with it, I have been searching for a book on baby sign for awhile so that James and I can get some practice in before Ellie's old enough to really understand what's going on.

We've started using daddy and mummy when we talk to her and today I had a look to choose the other basic words we will use with her for now - I've chosen;
  • Please
  • Thank you
  • Eat
  • Drink
  • Milk
  • Sleep
And once I've started to remember to do these I might start using;
  • Book
  • Look
  • Want
  • Hurt
  • More
  • Thirsty
I think hurt is a great one for those times when we don't know exactly what's wrong with her, I'm not entirely sure how we will teach it to her because you do the sign at the point where you hurt but I am sure she'll get it.

I'm very excited about the prospect of using this, I think it will be so beneficial for us all. The research I have done into teaching babies to sign has all been positive, I simply love the thought of learning together and having another way to communicate with Ellie - especially if it means we're alleviating frustration in those times before she can talk.

***
On other things, she's doing really well with going to bed today, I'm so proud of her. I know she hates sleeping in her cot and would much prefer to sleep in my arms (as any baby does) but she's not fighting it so hard now and is (just) getting over the half hour mark for each nap. I am filling out my sleep logs for the no-cry sleep solution today so that we can really get started on working on her going to bed. I don't mind if she's still waking 2 - 3 times a night, she's a baby. What I don't like is how hard it is to get her to sleep and how sometimes she is very hard to settle. I want to make sleep associations now that will enable us to have fewer issues as she gets older.

***

I've just been in to see her, she was crying so I went into try settle her but when I got there she was doing it herself by putting her dummy back in. She has a tendency to be able to pop it back in when she's stirring but still sleeping and sometimes she can do it while awake if it's fallen in the right position.

Everyday she surprises me with how clever she is and how much she's learning. It's amazing to watch, I get so excited, proud and full of warm fuzzies.

She's rolling a lot now, but only when she thinks no one is watching. James saw it for the first time today, which I have been waiting for, as often as I can I have been putting her on her belly near him but it's just never happened until this morning when he was getting ready for work. The last few times I have noticed that she puts her arm straight up above her head just before she does it and her arm doesn't get caught under her, so I guess she's working it all out. Clever cookie.

No comments: