Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How Will We be Effected?


I have never written in here about my diagnosis of Post Natal Depression after Kahlei's birth. Not intentionally, as such, it just happened like that. But, many of the first months after Kahlei was born were beyond difficult for me. Even though she was a much better baby than Ellie in terms of sleeping, routine, feeding... you know, all that baby stuff, I still found it much more challenging than my first months with my non-sleeping, must be held and rocked at all times first child.

Now that Phoenix's arrival is just three weeks, one day away I am starting to worry how I will cope. There are the obvious worries, like how am I going to survive getting up during the night again, when with a full night's sleep I am still waking up tired and then there's the fear of how I will react mentally and emotionally.

Apart from the fact that I have suffered from depression previously and that I am predisposed to the condition I honestly believe that my isolation, loneliness and lack of physical support had a lot to do with my suffering PND. I had never had any intention of having a third child here. I wanted to be surrounded by people I trusted and could rely on before I ventured back into baby territory. I wanted to be sure that I could stave off any ill effects of isolation and at least have a support network to fall back on if a new baby means more PND.

So, now that we're so close to meeting our bubba boy and seemingly still so far away from moving, I can't help but wonder what the following months will bring for myself and my family - other than than the addition of our gorgeous new boy. Especially, considering I am not even off my meds ...

 I am doing all I can to stay positive, but sometimes panic comes at me from nowhere. Especially, as we leave Bathurst, to return home. It's just not something I want to do. I want to stay where I know I have friends and family and surrounded by love. Where I feel my whole family is surrounded by what they need.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Pene said...

Becky - knowing the signs and symptoms, having the meds and having your family aware are all really positive steps to helping you cope.
All babies are different and all you can do is take it day by day. Rest when you can (hard I know when you have older children), don't be afraid to ask for help and remember to look after yourself as well as your baby.
You are strong, you are capable and you will get through it.

MissyBoo said...

Hoping that this time will be so much better for you then the last time. At least you are aware of your predisposition and have access to early intervention if need be.
Wishing you a lovely, safe delivery of your new bundle :)

Sophie said...

Thinking of you Becky. Hoping that you will just be able to take one thing at a time and like Pene says, you have an advantage knowing all the signs and symptoms and what you can do to ask for help...
love,
Sophie
x

Becky said...

I appreciate all your positive and thoughtful comments. It's lovely to know that when I feel confused and unsure I am able to turn to people I've never met to find support and understanding.