I recently made an appointment for my first ever skin check after finding myself completely freaked out by skin cancer ads where they talk about a 26 year old dying.
Apart from the fact that I am a severe hypochondriac, what I saw hit home with me as I am about to turn 28 and I also have type 1 skin; which means I burn at the mere thought of going into the sun. I do not tan. I crisp. I blister. I have often looked like a lobster. And, unfortunately, I have not always been sun smart and looked after my pasty complexion.
So, I tentatively made my appointment and wished I hadn't.
When it rolled around this morning, I felt sick. My ability to imagine I have anything and everything is... amazing. I've been obsessively looking at my moles for weeks now; imagining that I was seeing differences.
As I sat in the waiting room, reading the consent form I could feel my skin prickle. I swear each and every mole, mark and lesion was burning.
I worried about just how invasive the scan would be, how naked I'd have to get and how uncomfortable the whole situation would be. I turned them around in my head; making them into excuses to leave.
Thankfully, before I was able to completely convince myself it was a good idea to leave it was my turn.
The process was quick and painless, the doctor was friendly and informative and I was given the all clear after a quick chastising about picking at mozzie bites.
Now, it seems so crazy to me to want to put off something so quick and easy that may just end up saving your life.
Have you had a skin check lately?
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
9 comments:
Never thought about it but taking note of it now. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you stayed to get them checked! :)
I have a few on my back that i thought were getting bigger so i got them check, but that was about 6 years ago.
Joni - That's kind of why I wrote this post. Until the ads were showing I had never really thought about it either. It's something that's so easily over looked but so very important.
Jane - I plan to go back yearly now, just to keep on top of things, especially knowing that I spent SO much of my teen years burnt.
I had my first proper check earlier this year, and was given the all clear. Both my parents have had multiple early catches removed and a very close friend died last year at 32 years old of melanoma.
Out of vanity - I did request the woman zap a sunspot on my forehead, as it was a lot cheaper than visiting the beautician and twice as effective ;)
Absolutely a great topic to write a bout. I had my check with a dermatologist a couple of weeks back and like you had had every horror thought go through my mind... My sister had a melanoma removed a few years ago at 24 so the family history means regular check ups for me. I had a suspicious one removed after Bliss and hadn't been check since. You're right, after having it done, I was cross at myself for worrying and delaying something so simple &quick!
I've never had one. Every now and then I think about it and just like you feel terrified about it. And if I ever sum up the courage, I will probably feel just like you, why avoid something so quick and easy.
Thats good that you've reminded folks to get checked.
I get my local GP to check any that I am worried about every time I get a check up. it really is important and so easy!
- tork
Aren't we funny creatures? We can live blissfully in denial, but the morning of THAT check up has us nervous and sweaty. Glad you did it. You'll sleep better and will no longer have that voice telling you to go and check! xx
I'm REALLY moley so I get checked out once every year or two. My sister thinks about the sun and burns.
Post a Comment