Saturday, June 16, 2007

How Much Am I Worth?

Apparently not alot.

This morning I was rung by a lady further South telling me that she has finally been told about her 'pay rise'. Of $10 a week. Considering she has been working for our boss for many, many years and the fact that we obviously do more than we should under the award we're paid I was disgusted. She said that when my manager arrived and asked me if I had checked my pay and noticed my pay rise to mention that I had already been told about her measly $10. I went and took a look at my bank. I haven't a cent more than normal. I didn't expect to get as much as those who had been working here for ages, but I was led to believe I would get something. I'm not sure if it's because I only have two weeks left that I miss out or what, but two weeks of a little extra would make a difference to me.

My manager was silent on the money matter all day and I have to say it's left me feeling like I really don't matter. I feel majorly underappreciated, especially considering I have been left here to fend for myself basically since day dot - I haven't had a mentor, I have basically run an office under an award which states we should be supervised, and not make decisions and now that the wages have been reviewed I get a slap in the face. I am even more irate about it right now because I woke feeling crap, James told me to stay home and I said I couldn't. I felt I was responsible to keep this site running, but really, I am not. So, as the day has gone on I have felt worse and worse, my head pounding, my back aching and now I feel worthless to boot. I should just go home, but I still feel like I have to be here doing my job because there's no one else to do it.

I certainly don't feel like the 'valued member of a close team' I was told about in my interview. It's hard to enjoy your job when you're obviously not seen as worthy. I mean, I have never even met my boss and yet I get the distinct impression that he does not like me. How he can have an opinion of me, I don't

No comments: