Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Budget Crap

The 2008 budget, which was revealed yesterday, has left me feeling extremely angry. It certainly wasn't a budget for families, not in my opinion. Why are they encouraging us to go back to work and leave our children to be raised by someone else? Why aren't they making it easier for the mothers who do not want to work, but have no choice, to stay home with their babies? Being a stay at home mother is a perfectly legitimate job and is so very important in the early years of a child's life.

What makes them think it's acceptable to encourage us to have children only to off-load them for the important years. Obviously, there are people who want to work and that is their choice and that's fine. I don't believe people who choose to work should get so much help with childcare costs, however. Not when the support for mothers who choose to stay at home with their child seems basically non-existent.  We are all entitled to chose the way we want to raise our family and there should be respect for either choice. How can it be the wrong choice to stay at home to nurture, teach and love our children?

I don't want to go off to work everyday, leaving Ellie at a daycare. I don't want to have no idea what she is learning day in-day out. Mostly, I don't want another person to see her reach milestones that I should be there for. The thought of having to leave Ellie if things continue to get tougher simply breaks my heart. I would find it very difficult to not spend every moment thinking about her, worrying about her, wanting to see her.

I would just really like to see balance for all families alike.

No comments: