Friday, May 14, 2010

Just Me

Today I join in a blogger movement started by a blog post by Jodie Ansted over at Mummy Mayhem. I happened upon the post about Bloggers Without Makeup, to read about the idea and see what lead Jane to think it up go to her original post here.

Now, I have to admit that while yesterday I felt inspired and loved the idea today I am much more nervous and unsure about participating. Truth be told, I have taken a peak at quite a few of the posts linked up to Jane's post today and I think all the bloggers are just so beautiful. Without their makeup and all. I had to stop reading, as I was beginning to think about not posting. Or taking another photo, trying to make the 'real' me look as good as possible. Which would defeat the purpose of joining in.

So, before I chicken out:

This is me, in all my grumpy morning glory. Spots, uneven skin tone, swollen eye and funny shaped nose. For this photo to have seen the light of day before now firstly, I would have put on some foundation, lip gloss and mascara. It would be taken on a different angle to illiminate double chins and to make my nose look like it's not lopsided. Then, there would have been many takes, to get the 'right' one. Then I might do some touch up in photoshop, depending on how I was feeling and what look I was going for.

Like so many others, I have never really felt pretty or beautiful and because of this I am rarely in front of the camera. And when you're always behind the lens, there tends to be so many family experiences where there's no 'proof' of me being there. In years to come looking at family photos there will be no record of me.

I want something different for my girls. I want them to love themselves and value themselves. How do I help them be well adjusted, confident women when I struggle myself? Something to work towards, I suppose.

17 comments:

Rae said...

Becky, you are beautiful no matter what you smear on your face! I really like this photo, I can 'read' exactly how you are feeling by it! If you did all those other things, the important things (your thoughts and feelings) would be lost! So I love it!. :)

Thea said...

Hehe, good morning grumpy you!
Good on you for braving it out.
Great photo! :)

Anonymous said...

The first thing that struck me looking at your photo was your EYES! They are stunning. And even with your "grumpy" face you look pretty damn good to me. And I feel the same about my daughter. I need to work on the same thing.

Bang and Whimper said...

I truly magnificent honest shot. As you have naughtily pointed out your "flaws" may I tell you your eyes are amazing, your forehead - all those botox queens would KILL for, magnificent shaped eyebrows, sweet and subtle, rosy cheek blush and those lips...whoa Mumma - PERFECT!

tiff(threeringcircus) said...

I think you look lovely. I also struggle with those feelings of wanting my girls to accept themselves and know they are beautiful. (I don't have to worry about the boys, they already profess their own beauty :)) I pick on my own loks but get angry when my girls do the same. I'll be working on that too. Nice to meet you.

Megan Blandford said...

Absolutely, we need to give our daughters the best chance we can to be happy, confident women. Just not first thing in the morning :) - great photo.

Tamsyn said...

I think you look beautiful. The first thing I saw when I looked at this photo was your eyes, they're gorgeous!

Naomi said...

Yep, we need to give our children the best start we can... as long as I've had a cuppa in the morning first! Great photo!

erinlucyloves said...

i think you are beautiful. you have gorgeous skin and your eyes are amazing! don't be so hard on yourself xx

Anonymous said...

I think you look lovely, like almost everyone above, your eyes are very captivating, so full of expression. I love the honesty of this pic - well done for not chickening out (I almost did too!)

Jodie Ansted said...

Great pic! I fully agree about your eyes!

I think you start here. Showing your girls that we're all human and we all need to learn to love ourselves. You can do it.

Good luck with your journey, and thanks for taking part.

xxx

Jade @ Earth to Jade said...

Agree with everyone above, don't be hard on yourself, you look amazing (even if you are grumpy!)

Christie said...

I would not have seen any of those "flaws" if you had not pointed them out. In fact, I STILL don't see them!! Good on you for doing this despite your insecurities, you are a good example for your girls.

Cerry said...

Your girls can learn just as much from you recognising that it's okay to be grumpy in the morning as they can from someone who is totally comfortable with their body (especially given no such woman exists). And you look great, anyway.

Katie said...

Firstly, I love your picture. Its completely honest and that is awesome.
Secondly, your eyebrows and eyes. Gorgeous. I sooo want perfectly shaped brows like you have. Sadly, if not groomed daily mine look like they belong to a 90 year old man!
And about the piuctures...NOTHING makes me sadder than going through my photo albums of pictures of my sons young childhood and not being there. I've cried about it many times. Recently I have started taking pics of the two of us every chance I get. I sometimes think I look horrible but something tells me I just won't care about that in 50 years. I will just be happy to have them!

Heather said...

Love your picture and your bravery. I struggle too with teaching my girls to embrace your body image, no matter what it is. I mean, I can tell them that, but I need to believe it and stop being so critical of myself. You are right, something to work towards, I guess.

Kelly said...

Goodness me, you have the most perfect lips! Thanks for visiting me blog Becky. I'm glad to find you. Society today makes it very hard for us to teach our children to accept themselves. A fight worth winning though.