![]() |
| My first attempt at this type of 'photo' be kind! |
However, I have a big part to play in how they develop and learn about body image, loving and looking after themselves and accepting that they are wonderful inside and out - just as they are. This is where I start to worry about my children and the on-set of puberty and exactly how their self awareness will evolve and effect their self esteem.
I have never been the most confident person. So, when I started to develop earlier than other girls I mistook the body changes I was experiencing for 'getting fat' and my self esteem took a huge hit. I spend much of my teenage years fretting over my looks, my body and shying away from being seen. I wore jumpers and long pants through winter AND summer and eventually my obsession with what I saw in the mirror led to a life of binging, purging and starving in an attempt to be 'perfect'. Or as close to.
Now, when I look back of photos of myself before the struggles of an eating disorder I wonder what I could possibly have been thinking. I was beautiful. Lovely. Just the way I was. And my distorted perception of myself led me through so much pain and heartache and never once led me to 'perfection'. Or anywhere near it.
I want to say; 'Since recovering', I have gained a lot of weight, however, I honestly think there is no full recovery. It's on going. And as an emotional eater, who has survived an eating disorder but never felt beautiful enough. Slim enough. Never sure my curves were as they should be, who has had three children in 3 and a half years and been suffering from Post Natal Depression, I have taken on emotional eating. No surprises there.
And there have been low times of binging, especially before being diagnosed and treated for PND. Times which led to my disappointing my husband in a way I never imagined I would when he found my empty coke bottles, chocolate wrappers, lolly packets. At the time, I felt that eating those things was the only thing I had control over. It gave me a momentary mood-stabilisation with the sugar rush which made me think maybe I could fix everything with food.
Obviously, the logical part of me knew that wasn't so; otherwise I would not have been hiding what I was doing from James, but that part of me is easily silenced and not very well practised (just ask James, logic isn't my strong point).
My experiences leave me full of concern. How do I teach my children to love themselves when I still sometimes find it hard to look in the mirror (not often)? Especially, when it seems children are growing up all-too-fast these days. They want to wear bras, make up and high heels when they should still be dressing up as fairies, princesses and pirates. They want to be thinner than ever before. They want to be that elusive 'perfect'. When, really, they already are, they just can't see it and by the time they can it could be too late.
Since the moment I found out we were having a girl I have been fraught with guilt that I do not know how to convey a positive body image to my children. It has been something that has played on my mind, yet something that I have never been able to quite grasp exactly what my part in this is. The more I thought and worried about it the less I could comprehend exactly how I could model a positive attitude in terms of body.
The negative self talk left me stagnant, scared and incapable.
Ellie's recent obsession with The Biggest Loser has brought the issue to the fore again and offered us opportunities to talk openly about being healthy and body image. She is very interested in the transformations she can see in the contestants and asks any questions she has and having the visual example to fall back on, I have found it easier than I first thought to speak positively and truthfully about the issues raised.
Now that there is an open dialog, which has happened naturally through her interests I have started thinking about what else I can do to build my children up in this area. Sure, I've always told them daily how gorgeous, beautiful, wonderful and amazing they are but now it is time to take a more active approach to helping them see their worth and beauty as they are.
The first thing I need to do is work on me. I need to find a happy balance with my body. I need to get healthy and fit. NOT skinny. I need to work on the thoughts that could possibly lead me to focusing on the wrong goals. And I need to show my children how I look after and love my own body.
I can see many opportunities to build on what Ellie and I have discussed already; to talk about the beauty of all shapes and sizes, to question what the media tells us beauty and success is, to give her the tools to quiet negative self talk and encourage her to listen to her body.
I have realised it's a journey we can take together; I don't need to be perfect to instill these qualities in my children. I have not failed because I have struggled thus far. All is not lost.
We do not live an unhealthy lifestyle, however there is room for improvement, especially for me and this week I intend to start. More exercise. More positivity. More self love. For my health and for their self esteem.

13 comments:
Hi Becky,
I know (not first hand but by knowing many mothers) that motherhood is filled with feelings of guilt. However, I feel that of anyone to teach their children about these issues, you are one of the best that could be asked for.
My dad used to always say to us, "learn from me, don't make my mistakes, learn from my experiences".
I think someone who agonises as much as you do about how these things affect your children, someone who has been there and experienced it and are now trying so hard to better themselves to be a positive role model, you are the very best example that could be provided for your kids.
I think someone who has seen both sides of the coin is the best person to teach others about it.
You have three wonderful, amazing, bright and unique children. That is all down to you. You are doing such a wonderful job - I know that you will continue to do so, no matter which issue you are tackling with them.
I feel the same way Becky; I have the exact same concerns. I hate the way I look and even though I know (I know!!), it doesn't help, I starve myself of food. I grew up in a household of thin people eating fatty food and when I developed a thyroid disorder, phwump! Fatso Amy arrived. I got it under control, but after my second pregnancy and PND, I have serious weight that needs to shift. What does it mean for my girls? Well, I've always fed them an array of foods, including foods I don't eat. Fruit is a staple of their diet every day, even though I don't eat it. Vegies are something I work on. I kick them outside every afternoon to do their 'exercise' (play) and stay healthy and I tell them that.
I think it doesn't matter what we're like, we can guide our children to making better food and exercise choices. But yes, being a role model for those better choices, ah, go see your father! ;)
Beautiful heartfelt post Becky!! I know I am involved in the work I do, precisely because I wish to help teenagers navigate their world better than I did.
The thing is, I don't think anyone was honest about these things when we were growing up. Your girls are blessed to have you!
Oh gosh yes to all of this. I'm an eating disorder survivor too (and I too think it's something that is always with you, even when you're 'better') and I worry so much about how to help my kids grow up with healthy self image, especially given the media distortion of 'beauty' is even crazier than it was when I was growing up.
It's hard. And it needs addressing. And I for one have no real idea how I can protect my kids from the warped self-esteem I once suffered from.
Lots of love to you. It's a lot to process, and parenting really shines a spotlight on stuff like this... It can be so hard when your own experience has been traumatic :(
Oh Becky, I love your refreshingly honest take on things. And I love what a fabulous mother you are to your three beautiful children! I love that you are recognising the things you want to change and doingn something about it. I salute you. You. Are. Amazing!
And on a completely different note: how did you do that fabulous photo!!!??? xx
Great post! I've often wondered how I would raise kids without the body issues I had, good tips!
Lovely post. I know I don't have healthy habits and I obsess about how to not pass them on to my girls. It was worrying the first time my 5 year old said something about me 'being fat,' because I thought I'd been so careful. Obviously not, and I have to make a real effort to think about health, not weight. I'm usually quite happy with curves, but I know I feel blah when the fat creeps on so I try to focus on that feeling, rather than looks.
I think you are doing the bravest and best thing possible... you are talking about the hard stuff. There is no better gift to our children than communicating about the hard stuff!
I applaud you for talking about all the body issue stuff with Ellie already - starting now, when she's forming her identity can only mean good things. I worry about my coping strategies (or lack thereof) and am trying to implement new ways of coping so that I'm setting a good example for Tricky.
I love that you want more for your girls, and because of what you've been through, you are in the perfect position to teach them and lead them in the way they should go.
I think our struggles give us strength.
Tackling this stuff with your girls is great. Coming from a family with a long history of eating disorders and body image distortions, I'm trying my hardest to shield Miss 5 from this. She already comes out with "I look chubby in those bathers, I'm not wearing them." There is nothing of her, so will be taking a leaf from your book and start discussing these issues with her more head on.
This is a big issue...and one close to my heart as I have 3 girls...and I also suffered eating issues in my teens...you are so right in saying it starts with us...and our attitudes. It's so hard with all the external pressures we have to face.
It's such a delicate balance - teaching our kids to have good self esteem while fighting to protect them from onslaught of negativity in the media and dealing with our own issues. Sounds like you are striking the right balance with your girls.
Post a Comment