This afternoon I got a call from James telling me a lady at one of the schools he goes to thinks he might have whooping cough. We both started to worry about what might happen with having Bubby on Thursday if that's what it was.
We spent (wasted) quite a lot of time ringing back and forth - umm-ing and ahh-ing about what exactly to do, as he was a few hours from home and supposed to be going further away. Eventually, James rang his work and told them he was coming home.
I tried to organise a doctor's appointment with my doctor but for some reason it took them many hours to figure out if he could see James. When they eventually rang back they could only offer us an appointment next Friday.
That left emergency, so Ellie's seat had to go in as James had taken out the other one for me to wash it.
We thought there was going to be a looong wait at emergency as we followed an ambulance there, however, there was no one else waiting when we got there. After James filled out the paper work we saw the triage nurse straight away.
James explained his problem and what the lady had said and was told not to joke (I don't think he was, but anyway...) as whooping cough is going around at the moment. She went and got the blood pressure machine - you know, the one that pumps up on it's own? When it beeped she said "Oh" in a high pitched voice and went to get the manual blood pressure machine.
Oh?
I started to stress out at that moment.
She checked again and went straight to see the doctor, who saw to James pretty quick. He said (from what I could gather, he had a very strong accent) not to worry about the cough, that whooping cough was going around and everybody had a cough, even him. James mentioned that I am due to have Bubby on Thursday - trying to make the point that we were worried about that but the doctor went onto the blood pressure. He asked what it was normally like (how would James know?? He never goes to the doctor - no matter how much I pester him to when he's sick), if there was any family history and told him he couldn't leave.
Oh.
The doctor then asked me where I lived and told me I should go home for an hour. I felt like he was lecturing me about having Ellie there, but James really wasn't well enough to drive himself there... He said in an hour they would recheck James's blood pressure - if it was still up he would give him something and wait awhile longer, but maybe James wouldn't be able to come home tonight.
It's now almost three hours after that initial check. James is still at the hospital, Ellie's all tucked up in bed and I am sitting all alone wondering what's happening. I ring, but all they will tell me is that it's still dangerously high, call back later...
I'm guessing he will be staying overnight.
I've not had a night without him since leaving hospital with Ellie and I have never had a night at home alone with Ellie. I'm not that worried about looking after her alone - I know I can do that. I just want him home, I want to know what's going on.
I'm genetically pre-dispossitioned to stress (understatment of the year?). I should be up getting things done - that was my plan but I am experiencing extremely painful Braxton Hicks due to being stressed, so much so that I was finding it difficult to walk after I put Ellie to bed.
Drama.
More drama. It's just what we needed right now. Obviously.
We had a gazillion things to do this weekend, too. And tomorrow was shaping up to be my last sleep in for what could be many months. Instead I will probably hardly sleep at all wondering how he's doing (there's that stress thing again).
To top it off I am feeling frustrated that there isn't a single person for me to turn to. I can't ask someone to watch Ellie while I go and check on James. I can't ask someone to come be with me while I worry the night away. Honestly, this situation sucks (sorry Dad). It really does, though.
*Sigh* There is really only so long I can draw out the writing of one entry. I guess I had best find something to keep me occupied.
No comments:
Post a Comment